Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Plongeon | French Press

While most know that I am a photographer, few realize that do things other than take pictures. That's right! I eat food, good food, I go swimming, I sleep sometimes, I read things other than blog posts and Facebook statuses, and, almost more importantly than anything else, I drink coffee. Coffee is something that I take quite seriously. For instance, I have walked into a Starbucks and left five seconds later upon remembering their black coffee tastes like diluted tar. Some may call me a snob, but I would just like to think I have a developed, dare I safe matured, palate, and my tastes buds can't handle crap coffee.

Something that is rather difficult for me is being away from a coffee house where I can drive down and grab the most glorious cup of joe for two dollars and six cents. Right now I am living at home, which is far... very far from any quality coffee shop. French press is my preferred method of home-brewing, but it is something that needs to be mastered before it can be thoroughly enjoyed.

After extensive googling and acquiring of necessary equipment, I believe I am on my way to crafting a most delightful brew. Here's a brief how-to after a not-so-brief introduction on making a palate-please, french-pressed coffee.


First, I put my water on to boil, making sure there's enough to fill the french press. Then I clean out the french press from the last pot of coffee it had.



Then I weigh my favorite beans. I like to get mine from Radina's Coffeehouse and Roastery. They roast them in house, so it's the freshest bean I am able to get. This particular bag was roasted on July 2nd, just eight days ago. I'll tare the weight of the bowl and pour in 60g of coffee beans.


Once the water reaches a boil, I pour the beans in a burr grinder using the most course grind possible, grinding the beans. By this point, the water will have set thirty seconds, and I will quickly pour it over the ground coffee resting in the bottom of the french press. Then I will wait three minutes and thirty seconds white it brews.



During this time, you may need to give your dogs a biscuit.


They'll insist upon it.


Be sure to pour all of the coffee out of the french press. Typically, I pretend I am serving coffee for three people. The coffee should not be left in the french press, as it may become bitter.

Then, after 5-10 glorious minutes of brewing shenanigans, you will be able to sit, sip and work away.

Right about now, I have finished my first cup and will reheat one of the very cups you saw in this post (probably the middle one) over the stove. Microwaves, as stated by a barista friend, completely change the complexity of the flavor. 

Is this obsessive? I don't think so. I think it stems from an innate desire to pursue excellence, to strive for the best in every situation including your morning's cup of joe. Go get you some and taste what I am talking about.


No comments:

Post a Comment